Weston Woods is a production company founded in 1953 by Morton Schindel, that produces animated short films and audiobooks based on well-known children's books. The company was acquired in 1996 by Scholastic. The company is based in Norwalk, Connecticut.
1st Logo (1954-1996)
Logo: On a black background, we see three green, stylized trees, with two blue Vs connected together, from the left to right tree, resembling a "W". The lowercase words "weston woods presents" or "a weston woods release" are seen below.
- For the "presents" variant, said word can be either beside or below "weston woods".
- Sometimes a copyright symbol is placed after "weston woods".
- A filmed version exists.
- On early shorts we see different text that says "produced by morton schindel at weston woods studios weston, connecticut, u.s.a.".
- A black and white version exists of this variant can be found on Millions of Cats.
- An early version of said variant has "connecticut" shortened to "conn."
Music/Sounds: None, or the closing theme of the short film.
Music/Sounds Variant: On 16mm prints of the Harold and the Purple Crayon short, the opening theme is heard.
Availability: Seen on early Weston Woods shorts (including those from Gene Deitch/Rembrandt Films) starting with their first short film, Andy and the Lion. It was also spotted on 16mm prints of the Harold and the Purple Crayon short; VHS and DVD releases cut this out.
2nd Logo (1996-)
Logo: On a black background, we see the stylized trees from before, now slightly amended and in a darker green color, zoom up. Then, a flash occurs in the middle of the trees, turning the middle section into a sky blue "W". The words "weston woods presents" or "a weston woods release" fade in below.
- On later videos, the logo used the 2003 Scholastic logo.
- Starting in 2011, the logo is in widescreen and it was enhanced.
Technique: 2D animation.
Music/Sounds: A piano stinger is heard during the Scholastic logo, which then turns into a whimsical folk theme.
Music/Sounds Trivia: An extended version of this theme would later be used as the background music to an intro used on later Scholastic Video Collection and Scholastic Storybook Treasures DVDs.
Availability: Common on many Weston Woods videos and DVDs, starting with Harry the Dirty Dog. The 2003 variant can be seen on their later videos and Cinedigm DVD releases.