WJCT-TV is a PBS affiliate located in Jacksonville, Florida. It was launched on September 10, 1958 and was an NET affiliate until 1970. WJCT-TV also has a radio network known as "WJCT-FM" and are both owned by WJCT, Inc. In 2021, WJCT rebrand into JAX PBS.
1st Logo (1970's/1980's-1982)
Logo: On a black background, we see a purple
trail zooms out and moves like a spiral and when it dissapear, a blue trail behind the purple one zooms out normally. When the blue trail stops zooming and becomes a small blue diamond/rhombus, it reveals the text "A PRESENTATION OF" at the top with the word "WJCT", and the text "JACKSONVILLE" and "FLORIDA" is below it.
FX/SFX: The trails moving and zooming.
Music/Sounds: A funky synth tune.
Availability: Ultra rare. It can only be seen on Learned It in Back Days and Kept It: A Portrait of Lucreaty Clark.
2nd Logo (1982-1993)
Logo: On a sunset shot of Jacksonville's skyline, chroma-keyed fireworks appear over the skyline. Then, a red rectangular frame shoots toward the viewer at a fast pace, and then, a dark red starburst (which is meant to be a firework graphic) wipes in from top to bottom, along with "WJCT" colored in a blue/white gradient below the starburst, and "Jacksonville" at the bottom in a yellow outline. The logo shines all over.
- An early variant exists where the logo is placed on a plain blue/light blue background. There's also no border and the word "JACKSONVILLE, FLORIDA" appears in spaced out letters. Also the starburst is red instead of dark red. And the logo shines rapidly.
- There's a variant of a normal variant that has the number "7" in steel blue fades-in on the starburst and shines with the logo. And the logo shines 6 seconds more than the normal variant.
FX/SFX: The fireworks, the starburst shooting, the logo shining, and sometimes the "7" fading-in. For the early variant, the logo shining.
Music/Sounds: A somber, four-note synth-chime tune that kinda resembles NBC's famous jingle. This is in a lower tone on the early variant.
Availability: Very rare. It can be seen on a few Jacksonville Jazz Festival specials during the era.
3rd Logo (1992-1998)
Logo: On a black background, the camera pans down from 3 glass copies of the fireworks logo from the previous logo, shining many different colors. As the copies straighten out, a glass rectangle with "WJCT" embossed on the bottom flips in. The fireworks stick to the back and the rectangle flips around to reveal a large "7" over the logo as it shines. "JACKSONVILLE, FLORIDA" flips in below.
FX/SFX: The rotating logo. Fairly simple CGI animation.
Music/Sounds: A rising synth is heard at first. This is followed by a short piano tune and a timpani roll. Chimes are heard when it shines. It sounds very similar to the OS/2 Warp 4 startup sound.
- Sometimes on The Pollcats, Paul Van Osdol says "From WJCT, channel 7, Jacksonville, this is The Pollcats."
- On Young Voices, a young girl's voice says "This program was made at channel 7 in Jacksonville."
Availability: Rare. Seen on The Pollcats and Young Voices, which can be viewed in the American Archive of Public Broadcasting.
Legacy: The dark vibe will surprise a few, but other than that, it is completely harmless, clean, and superior to the previous logo.
4th Logo (1997-2000's)
Logo: On a white background with a gray vortex animating on the screen, the new WJCT logo, which "wjct" in a lowercase version of the previous logo's font but with a cursive "j" and "PUBLIC TELEVISION" circling around in an arc to the right of the logo, zooming in. The entire logo is in a glossy purple color with beveled edges and a rotating crystal pattern. The words "A Production of WJCT, Jacksonville Florida", (former programming) "Public Television" or "PRESENTS" (for opening/closing shows) then fade in.
- An early variant is seen on Painting with Brenda Harris, which the logo is larger, colored blue with a yellow "j", and is placed on a heavily washed out, white-colored footage of flowing water waves.
- The logo may be colored differently, like in blue.
- The local version is the same, but the background is replaced by a white screen. The WJCT logo are on the white screen and the announcer says the station name.
- Sometimes, the logo would be still or not zoom in on a plain white background.
FX/SFX: The zooming in. For the local variant, it's a still logo.
Music/Sounds: None. For the local ID variant, an announcer say "You're watching WJCT Public Television Jacksonville.".
Availability: Uncommon, bordering on rare. Some shows with the local programming has the logo plasters it. Also, seen on some shows, which can be viewed on American Archive of Public Broadcasting.
5th Logo (2010?-)
Logo: On a white background, we see a blue oval with the text "wjct" inside.
- As an opening/closing variant, we see the word "Presents" on the top.
- As a production variant, the words "A" and "Production" are seen on bottom and top.
- Sometimes, it would say "Jacksonville, Florida".
Availability: Current and common. Some shows with the opening and closing logo will be have it.