Universal Media Studios
On June 14, 2007, NBC Universal Television Studio was renamed to Universal Media Studios amid expanded presence on digital. In 2008, the cable production unit was split off into Universal Cable Productions. On September 12, 2011, Universal Media Studios was renamed back to its original name, "Universal Television".
(November 1, 2007-October 19, 2011)
Logo: The logo starts on a black background with a golden burst of light (very likely intended to be a sun). Then a half-globe motif figure with the features of Earth in its negative space zooms back and "UNIVERSAL MEDIA STUDIOS" with "UNIVERSAL" in the Copperplate Gothic Bold typeface and "MEDIA STUDIOS" in the Akzidenz-Grotesk Extended Medium typeface and underneath "UNIVERSAL", is below it. While that happens the golden burst of light gets brighter and expands, a la the 1988 ABC Productions logo.
- Early 2009-2010: "A DIVISION OF NBC UNIVERSAL" (in Copperplate Gothic)
- Late 2009-October 19, 2011: "A Division of NBC Universal" (in Akzidenz-Grotesk Extended Medium)
- Long, short and still versions exist for this logo.
- The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien, Late Night with Jimmy Fallon and Last Call with Carson Daly have the NBC Studios, Inc. (later NBC Studios, LLC) copyright stamp. The version on Fallon's show has a very cheap-looking zoom out effect.
- The 2010 edition of NBC's Christmas in Rockefeller Center has the NBC Universal, Inc. copyright stamp below the NBC Universal byline.
- On Crusoe, the logo is still and shares the screen with the Power Television logo.
- A prototype version exists where the earth is more realistic.
- A rare variant without the earth exists.
Technique: CGI animation.
Music/Sounds: A 5-note rock jingle. Composed by 5 Alarm Music.
- A short version exists where only 3 notes are heard.
- Sometimes, the end theme plays over the logo.
- Some series such as House, used the 1999 NBC Studios low tone theme on some early episodes.
- On The Marriage Reef, the theme is high-pitched and sped-up.
- On the pilot episode of The Event, the Universal Cable Productions theme is used.
- It is usually seen on shows produced in this era such as Friday Night Lights, House, The Office, Community, The Event, Life, the final season of Heroes, and Parenthood.
- Surprisingly, this logo has appeared on syndicated episodes of Jerry Springer and Steve Wilkos replacing the NBC Universal Television Distribution logo for a while. However on later rebroadcasts of Springer and Wilkos they would use the then current NBCUniversal Television Distribution logo.
- Starting in November 2008, it didn't appear on shows produced for cable such as Monk as those got their own logo for Universal Cable Productions (now Universal Content Productions).
- It was also seen on on-demand prints of some new NBC shows in the 2011-2012 season including Up All Night, Whitney and Free Agents. Original airings of these shows starting in September 2011 used the next logo.
|Universal Media Studios||