Television Wales and the West

From Audiovisual Identity Database

Credits
Descriptions by
mr3urious

Captures by
Camenati

Background

Television Wales and the West (TWW) began broadcasting on January 14, 1958, as the first holder of the ITV franchise for South Wales and the West of England, an area which extended to the rest of Wales in 1964 when it took over the financially troubled Wales West and North Television (known on-air as Teledu Cymru). In the 1967 franchise round, the company lost its franchise to Harlech Television, and eventually ceased broadcasting on March 4, 1968, almost five months before its contract was due to end. Consequently, with Harlech not ready to begin broadcasting until late May, the Independent Television Authority set up a temporary service - Independent Television Service for Wales and the West - which used the former TWW staff and facilities.



1st Logo (1958-1962)

Logo: On a black background, we see a circle with a large "T", and surrounded on the left and the right sides of the "T" are the letter "W".

Variant: The logo may sometimes be on a wooden background, with "CHANNEL 10" below the logo.

Technique: None.

Music/Sounds: Just a continuity announcer playing over the logo.

Availability: Extinct.



2nd Logo (1962-1968)

Logo: Against a black background, we see three white concentric rectangles slowly zooming-in. The innermost rectangle flips around clockwise three times in sync with the music, making the letters "TWW" appear. Then, a horizontal white line wipes in the words "CHANNEL 10" below "TWW".

Variant: Sometimes, "CHANNEL 10" is replaced with "PRESENTS".

Technique: Traditional animation.

Music/Sounds: A twelve-note horn fanfare.

Availability: Extinct.


3rd Logo (1965-1968)

Logo: Against a black background, a stylized image of Y Ddraig Goch (the Welsh red dragon), with its right front foot raised and its tongue sticking out, zooms in. The words "TELEDU CYMRU", in bold Futura font, appear below the dragon, and then a small TWW logo and "NETWORK FOR WALES", in the same font, are wiped in below that.

Variant: An early variant had the "TWW NETWORK FOR WALES" text missing, and the "TELEDU CYMRU" text set lower. It's unknown if it had any animation or music.

Trivia: The dragon and the Teledu Cymru name had been used by Wales West and North Television from its inception in September 1962 until its takeover by TWW in January 1964.

Technique: Simple traditional animation.

Music/Sounds: Same as the 2nd logo.

Availability: Extinct.

External Links

Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies.