Sucker Punch Productions
Sucker Punch Productions is a video game development studio founded in 1997 in Bellevue, Washington by ex-Microsoft employees Brian Fleming, Chris Zimmerman, Bruce Oberg, Darrell Plank, and Tom and Cathy Saxton. Their first game was Rocket: Robot On Wheels, released in 1999 on the Nintendo 64 in conjunction with Ubisoft, which performed poor commercially despite positive critical reception. The studio would work with Sony Interactive Entertainment for development and publishing of their future games, and would go on to develop the Sly Cooper and inFAMOUS series, in addition to Ghost Of Tsushima, which has become one of the fastest selling first-party PlayStation titles, with a feature film adaption currently in production. Sucker Punch would be bought by Sony after the release of inFAMOUS 2 in 2011.
1st Logo (November 17, 1999-October 25, 2011)
Rocket: Robot On Wheels
Sly Cooper And The Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2: Band Of Thieves
Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves
inFamous: Festival Of Blood
Logo: The stylized, stacked words "SUCKER PUNCH" in a custom font, with a star inside the "P", and the right stem of the "H" extended to the height of the entire logo. A slanted oval is also seen behind the text.
- Rocket: Robot On Wheels: The "SUCKER PUNCH" text is white with a 3-D effect and a black drop shadow on a red oval. The URL "suckerpunch.com" is seen below in Comic Sans.
- Sly Cooper And The Thievius Raccoonus (known as Sly Raccoon in Europe): We zoom out from a shot of the moon, a crow covering part of it (actually Clockwerk, the game's final boss), to reveal a rooftop with a wooden water tower with the Sucker Punch logo on it, "A" and "PRODUCTION" in white above and below respectively. We zoom in as we hear the sound of a glass window shattering. An alarm goes off as a spotlight shines on the water tower and Sly (who can only be seen as a silhouette) jumps out of the window, running across the roof and jumping down near the chimney. We move closer to the tower as the logo fades to black.
- Sly 2: Band Of Thieves: We start on a shot of a large pyramid in a desert town, which pans to the rooftop of a building. Sly (as a silhouette, like last time) jumps onto the rooftop and runs toward us, being joined by Murray and Bentley. They run past a red billboard on the right with the Sucker Punch logo with "a" and "PRODUCTION" on it not unlike before, just in a more standard font. The three thieves jump to the next building and run off, leaving the billboard on the right before fade-out.
- Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves: The Thievius Raccoonus (a brown book with golden flourishes) drops down onto a bluish-gray background, with dust puffing from it as it hits the surface. It opens up to reveal its pages, and we pan through them before "A SUCKER PUNCH PRODUCTION" (like before, but with the words "A" and "PRODUCTION" in Bangers), in addition to two stars, can be seen on the bottom of the right page. Everything but the logo fades out and becomes colorized, with a cream-colored oval and "A PRODUCTION", black text and red stars. It zooms in as we fade out.
- inFAMOUS: Segueing from the Sony Computer Entertainment logo with a TV glitch effect, we zoom out through a star-shaped hole cut out of a red background as the Sucker Punch logo (black text on white oval) forms around it. The entire logo looks like it was crudely made with paint as splatters can be seen around it, and everything is on a gray, pavement-like background with red splotches covering it. "A SUCKER PUNCH PRODUCTION" is seen below. A pulse of blue electricity then envelops the logo (referencing the game's main character, Cole MacGrath, and his electric superpowers), turning the logo blue with scan lines, which soon fizzles out.
- inFAMOUS 2: Starting with a transition like the first game's variant, the screen is blasted with blue electricity, forming the Sucker Punch logo (resembling how it had before with the paint-like design) on a dark gray background. The logo gives off a bit of electricity, and "A SUCKER PUNCH PRODUCTION" appears below. The logo is electrocuted one more time before the logo ends.
- inFAMOUS: Festival Of Blood: Same as the inFAMOUS 2 variant, except the lightning is red, the background is a stained brown and the oval in the logo is red.
- The print logo on a black background can be seen on The Sly Collection for PlayStation 3.
Technique: Depends on the variant, but usually 2D animation (in the cases of the Sly Cooper And The Thievius Raccoonus and Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves variants), in-engine (in the case of Sly 2: Band Of Thieves) or CG.
Music/Sounds: Depends on the variant, generally the opening theme of the game or silence.
- Sly Cooper And The Thievius Raccoonus: The sounds described above, against the blowing of wind.
- Sly 2: Band Of Thieves: A Egyptian-sounding tune, with the whooshes and footsteps of the main characters.
- Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves: The slam of the Thievius Raccoonus on the surface, whooshes as we scan through the pages, and a droning sounder as the logo ends.
- inFAMOUS: Glitching noises, a loud whoosh as the logo reveals itself, and the pulse of humming electricity.
- inFAMOUS 2/Festival Of Blood: Zaps of electricity and a pounding noise.
Availability: Seen on Sucker Punch's games from their debut, Rocket: Robot On Wheels, to the PlayStation Network-exclusive inFAMOUS: Festival Of Blood for PlayStation 3.
2nd Logo (March 21, 2014-)
inFAMOUS: Second Son
inFAMOUS: First Light
Ghost Of Tsushima
Logo: In a rounded rectangle, we see the abbreviation "SP" in a blocky font, with a red star in the "P" like before. The words "SUCKER PUNCH" are below in Neue Helvetica.
- inFAMOUS: Second Son: The screen is spray-painted white and the Sucker Punch logo appears within, missing the red star at first before it is filled in. The star drips a bit of paint (as well as either side of the rectangle), as "A SUCKER PUNCH PRODUCTION" appears. The screen is painted back to black, with only the star remaining as it fades out.
- inFAMOUS: First Light: Several strings of purple light zoom past and around the screen, before forming the Sucker Punch logo in the center, which has a slight electricity effect to it for the remainder of the logo. The star hangs around as the logo fades out like last time.
- Ghost of Tsushima: The Sucker Punch logo pops into view, as white, ghoulish power is formed from the right of the rectangle. The logo looks somewhat worn, with the letters painted with a brush. The logo is whisked away.
Technique: Depends on the variant.
Music/Sounds: Depends on the variant.
- inFAMOUS: Second Son: The spraying sound of a spray-paint can, as well as it being shaken, with ghoulish noises during the fade-outs.
- inFAMOUS: First Light: Electricity noises as the light zooms around, with buzzing when the logo is formed.
- Ghost of Tsushima: Ominous noises with the pounding of the logo appearing.
Availability: Seen on Sucker Punch's games since inFAMOUS: Second Son.