On April 1, 2003, video game company Square merged with Enix Corporation, forming Square Enix. In 2009, the company made a step into the European market after the acquisition of Eidos Interactive. In May 2022, Embracer Group made a deal with Square Enix to acquire the assets of Square Enix Europe, which includes Eidos-Montréal, Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix Montreal.
Logo: We see the letters "SQUARE ENIX" (in a modified version of the Bank Gothic font, with the "Q" being different and the E's both having their middle lines in red) form quickly on a dark background.
- Sometimes, the logo is still, and is put on a white or black background.
- In rare cases, the logo may be bigger, or smaller to fit the screen.
- A blue version of the still logo can be found on Dragon Quest Builders.
- In the trailer for Just Cause 2, the words "London Studios" are displayed below the Square Enix logo. Square Enix had acquired Eidos at that point, turning the latter into its European branch.
- On Just Cause 3, the background is white and after about six seconds, it zooms out, revealing the logo on a beach towel on a seat. The main character (Rico Rodriguez) pulls the towel from behind him, revealing the Avalanche Software logo.
- Sometimes, the logo appears in the opening cinematic of the game.
- On the opening cinematics of the Kingdom Hearts games from Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep onward, the logo is in CGI, and is gold as it turns upward before fading out.
- On Balan Wonderworld, the logo is on a dark background.
Technique: The letters forming.
Music/Sounds: A piano note, and a quiet female voice whispering the company's name. Sometimes it omits the female's voice, or it's silent.
- The opening cinematic variants have their own custom SFX and/or music.
- On Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy, we hear a character from the game saying the company name. The character who says it depends on the date the game is played (for instance, if the game is played on the seventh day of any month (like May 7), we would hear Cloud Strife, Sephiroth, Tifa Lockheart, or Aerith Gainsborough (characters from Final Fantasy VII) do the voice-over; if the game is instead played on the first of any month, we would hear the Warrior of Light or Garland (characters from the first Final Fantasy game) do the voice-over. It loops back to the first game after the 13th of any month.).
Availability: Uncommon. It is hardly seen on video games since the company's birth but can be seen on video game trailers and advertisements.
- Kingdom Hearts II is the earliest known game to have used this logo.
- It can be seen on other games from the company, such as The Last Remnant for PC, some Nintendo DS games and Dissidia: Final Fantasy for PSP. The silent version is more common than the sound version, however.
- This logo makes an appearance on the 2018 film Tomb Raider.