NPO 3 (Netherlands)
This page may contain missing/incomplete descriptions.
If you have further information on these logos, please consider to make our descriptions more complete.
NPO 3 (formerly Nederland 3) is the third TV station of the NPO.
1st Logo (1988-1994)
Logo: There are many examples, but here is the main one: On a black background, a gray pyramid tumbles down from the top of the screen. When the pyramid's point faces the front of the screen, red, blue, and green blocks slide to the sides of the pyramid. A "3" fades in on the pyramid and "N E D E R L A N D" fades in below.
Broadcaster Variants: There are times when Nederland 3 changes to a different broadcaster, so they would use special transitions to the broadcasters:
- FEDUCO: "N E D E R L A N D" disappears one by one, starting with the D. The blue block compresses and zoom in while the logo zooms out. The blue block flips to a gray block and becomes "FEDUCO". "FEDERATIE EDUCATIEVE OMROEP" appear with the blocks in sync with the music.
- IKON: The "N E D E R L A N D" text fades out and the sections of the pyramid slide out, with the bottom section wiping out the red and green blocks. The blue block fades out and the IKON logo at the time fades in, which consisted of a weird ship-like shape and "IKON" in outlines. The ship shape turns green and the text turns gray. The logo shines and the blocks appear one by one.
- 1st Variant: The blocks disappear and the text and 3 fade out. The sections open up to reveal a wireframe version on the pyramid and it turns to form a cube. The cube turns and 4 more lines appear. A blue circle is drawn and the blocks and "teleac" appear.
- 2nd Variant: The text and blocks disappear and the sections open up to reveal a pyramid with the design of the Teleac logo on it and clouds being reflected on it.. The pyramid rotates to have the Teleac logo facing forward. The pyramid fades out, leaving the logo and "teleac" fades in. At Christmas
- SOCUTERA: The sections disappear one by one as the background turns grey. The SOCUTERA logo fades in section by section. The 2nd and 3rd sections move down and up and the blocks appear one by one.
- 1st Variant: The text and pyramid disappear and the blocks become the lines in the RVU logo. The lines fly into place and "rvu" appear next to the lines. The blocks reappear.
- 2nd Variant: The pyramid sections move out and turn out, wiping the blocks away and revealing on the insides. The text fades out and the sections fly into place and stretch out. The bars wiggle a bit and expand and move down to become slanted as "rvu" appear next to the lines. The blocks then reappear.
FX/SFX: Nice animation done by Will Bakker.
Music/Sounds: A rising synth tune that changes every variant composed by Tonny Eyk.
Legacy: The music and sudden transitions to the logo formations can scare some.
2nd Logo (1994-1995)
Logo: On a black background, a light blue serif "3" zooming in. A spotlight appears below and the logo shines. The end has the logo zooming out with blue and red spotlights shining on it.
FX/SFX: The "3" zooming in.
Music/Sounds: A 3-note synth bell tune.
3rd Logo (1995-1999)
Logo: There are various versions of the logo, all of them having the company's signature "3" from the era.
- Ribbons: Various ribbons appear on a spiky surface and move around. These later form the 3 logo. blue and green versions of this variant exist.
- Cut-Out: The logo is cut from a white cardboard, and the cut part falls down. While this happens, orange, red, purple and cyan shadows are seen behind it.
- Holes: We zoom out from a white board which is actually full of holes. Silver material comes out of the holes, forming the 3 logo.
- Claw: At a carnival, a claw machine consisting of 3 of the "3"s rotates and drops down. It picks up a little TV and rises up, showing a clear view of one of the "3"s.
- Formation: Many strange objects move and form the 3 logo, with lightning happening. A longer version shows the objects moving around in close-up shots before forming the "3".
- Paper: Many paper circles with images on them and in different sizes are seen moving at an angle. They then move into position to become the 3 logo.
- Bulbs: Many lights are seen turned off. One moves down and then turns on. More turn on and move to become the 3 logo. Then they turn off one by one. This was the closedown bumper.
FX/SFX: Most are live-action.
Music/Sounds: Depends on the variant.
Legacy: Compared to the next logo, these idents are very fun to watch.
4th Logo (1999-2003)
Nicknames: "Complex 3", "Multi-Pattern 3", "Stripe 3", "Uneasy 3"
Logo: The generic ident has a multi-stripe background with "3" being repeated on them. In front of them, we see a more bigger 3, with a rectangle and a circle next to them on top (which is actually the logo for Publieke Omroep, which is actually the NPO). The screen shifts from the directions, revealing the broadcaster logos. The background from before is revealed, and still "moves". A black 3 comes out on one of the repeated ones and moves vertically, appears again and zooms in. It appears to be an completely different 3. The end bumper features the logo turning and shifting with yellow, purple, and dark blue colors before finally shifting to black.
Broadcaster Variants: There are lots of them. These were seen before a program not broadcast by the NPO/Publieke Omroep but by other companies.
- NPS: The stripes turn between blue and purple, and the NPS logo (a half-circled red streak and a blue dot, with the script below) zooms in.
- RVU: The stripes turn between the green color, and the RVU logo (with the stripes shortened) zooms in.
- VARA: The stripes turn between the red color, and the VARA logo zooms in. Originally it was the black "VARA", with a red exclamation being part of the "R". In 2001, this was changed to a multi-color cube (it faces with its red color) with the white exclamation, and the word "VARA" next to it.
- VPRO: The stripes turn between the green and cyan colors, and the VPRO logo (a greenish blue triangle and the word "VPRO" in front) zooms in.
- BNN: The stripes turn between the purple color and the BNN logo (a red oval with "BNN" in a grungy font) zooms in.
- News (NOS/Live): It has several different colors with some of them being the 3 while others have the NOS logo (an abstract, italic "NOS" in blue. The logo was the same from before just without italics). in the purple colors. The purple squares scroll to the left for a bit before coming to an halt, wobbling for a bit. The same thing happens with yellow, blue, and red blocks showing "LIVE".
- VARA/NPS: blue and red colors are shown here and both the VARA and NPS logos zoom in.
- KRO: The stripes turn between the purple colors and the KRO logo (which is "kro" in a yellow oval as a cutout) zooms in.
- TROS: The stripes turn between the yellow colors and the TROS logo (which is a yellow, 8-pointed star with "TROS" in blue) zooms in.
FX/SFX: Mostly the shifting and logo coming out and zooming in.
Music/Sounds: Mostly some strange noises with an raindrop at the end. The end bumper has a strange synth tune with crickets chirping and a cat meowing and a dog barking at the end.
5th Logo (2003-2005)
Logo: On a white background, many blue diamond are seen appearing and disappearing. A bunch of blue diamonds zoom out and form the new logo, which is a white "3" inside of a blue diamond. "Nederland Drie" fades in next to it and more diamond move around and fade in. Other idents have different clips.
FX/SFX: The diamonds moving and the logo materializing.
Music/Sounds: A rising sound with a guitar tune.