Family Channel IDs
These are the IDs used by the Family Channel, launched on September 1, 1988.
1st Logo (September 1, 1988-1994)
Logo: On a sky blue background, a yellow sun draws in on the right. Above the sun, blue rectangle draws in. Below that, a red rectangle draws in on the left. After that, the word "Family" in script and in blue draws in below. The word "Channel" fades in below "Family" in a Times New Roman font.
- On an extremely rare version of the ID, a sun rises from the bottom of the river, and into the sky. It then flashes into the real yellow sun, zooming out from on a blue background, which shrinks into a thin, horizontal rectangle above on a red background that turns into an abstract vertical rectangle zooming out and settling below and on the left. The sequence continues as normal.
- Sometimes, an abridged (but short) version of the bumper is used.
- On a night time variant, we see the skyscrapers below, moving about. A full moon is shown above, and the abstract blue and red rectangles appear slowly, moving and settling in its proper position. The buildings then disappear, as the corporate text appears below. The moon is in place of the sun in the logo.
Technique: The drawing effects.
Music/Sounds: A fun tune with the announcer saying "You're watching Family Channel, Canada's Family Network." Sometimes the announcer says "You're watching Family Channel, television the whole family can share together."
- On the "Warmth and Wonder of Disney" variant, he also says, "You're watching Family Channel, with the warmth and wonder of Disney."
- On the night time variant, a relaxing, jazzy rendition of the theme plays throughout, as well as a saxophone playing notes of the jingle itself. Also, a voiceover says "We hope you're enjoying Family Channel, with the warmth and wonder of Disney."
Availability: Extinct, outside of tape trading.
2nd Logo (1994-1997)
Logo: On a cloudy sky background, we the same Family Channel logo from before, but this time, in a 3D CGI fashion. The logo shines, and the sun itself "flashes" multiple times. The maple leaves fly throughout.
- On the "Freeview Weekend" bumper, a pilot rides on a red biplane that "flies" in front of the logo, leaving behind a banner that reads "Freeview Weekend" with a Family Channel logo on the left. It then flies behind the logo at the end.
- Sometimes, the logo is on a starry night background. A comet streaks below.
Technique: The logo shining and the sun flashing. Great CGI effects.
Music/Sounds/Voiceover: A whimsical tune being played in the daytime version. We hear a male announcer saying "For entertaining programs the whole family can enjoy, trust Family Channel."
- On the night time variant, a saxophone tune plays the 1994 theme. He also says "This is Family Channel, Canada's Family Network."
- On the "Freeview Weekend" bumper, an amusement park-like music rendition of the 1994 jingle plays throughout, with a sound of a biplane flying about. A female announcer is heard saying "You're watching our Freeview Weekend, on Family Channel."
Availability: Extinct. Outside of tape trading, just like before.
3rd Logo (1997-1999)
Logo: We see people doing various things (including, a ballerina dancer twirling around, a woman graduating, kids feeding a dog, etc.) against a background full of art, as the barber man and a child watches us and disappear, the blue and red objects fly around, along with the sun, forming the original Family Channel logo from before on a white background. The word "Family" in the same script font, also from before, zooms in below with "Channel" in a Helvetica font.
Variants: The bumper comes in the following numerous variants:
- Mine: The sequence plays, and after the logo forms, the rectangles and text disappear except the sun. The word "Mine" appears in red below the sun, dotting the I.
- Splat: Same as before, but the word "SPLAT" appears in blue underneath the sun.
- Signature: After the sequence, the word "Signature" appears below the sun.
- Disney Variant: We see the Family Channel logo playing in animation, as the lines and text disappear except the sun, which briefly wobbles once and shines. The sun flies, draws a yellow paint line and brings forth the black words "with the magic of" inscribed on the yellow line, and the familiar Disney script logo in red writes in below. A small copyright stamp appears on the bottom left corner of the screen.
Technique: People doing all kinds of various things, and the logo forming.
Music/Sounds/Voiceover: A somewhat catchy, relaxing tune that plays at the beginning. It also ends with the last two notes, and an announcer says "You're watching Family Channel."
Music/Sounds/Voiceover Variants: The ID comes in numerous versions:
- A jazzy swing tune being played throughout with various sounds.
- A pop-techno tune with a horse whinnying.
- On the "Magic of Disney" variant, we hear a female announcer saying "You're watching Family Channel." A chiming sound is heard as the sun wobbles and shines, and a "whoosh" sound as it flies throughout, followed by a whimsical fanfare being played during the sequence. She also adds: "With the magic...of Disney." before it ends with a flourish.
Legacy: The classic original logo is well-remembered by Canadians that grew up watching Family Channel in the '80s and '90s. Also, it was the last bumper to use the original logo, as the word "Channel" was dropped before the rebranding of Family Channel's next logo made on October 1, 1999. However, the "Family Channel" name still remains active in the future.
4th Logo (1999-2011)
ID: Depends on the variant.
- Countdown Leader: We see a blue circle with a black "f" in it, and a white border, and a countdown leader then changes it to red with an "a" in it, then green with an "m" followed by a fan and a dog. The word "primetime" is shown in the background, and copies of the word "family" wipe down on the right-hand corner of the screen. The iconic "Circle F" logo appears on the bottom-hand corner of the screen, then changes to people doing various things, which ended up with the 1999-2011 Family logo.
- Bubbles: On a blue background with bubbles floating about, we see a pre-adolescent boy using a wand, which brings forth a bubble (intended to be an iconic "Circle F" logo), as the word "family" appears below while floating down. The logo floats, then rams and engulfs the screen.
- Marbles: On a yellow background, we see a child's legs and feet (wearing socks and sneakers, of course), then the marbles fall from above all over her, rolling into the ground. We then cut to the 1999-2011 Family logo (usually in green) on the floor. The marbles take position onto the logo at the end.
- Confetti: We see the girls playing with the confetti, as it falls from above while they jump around and capture them. We then cut to the girl's hands, as a red "Circle F" logo falls from above, spins around and lands on them. The word "family" appears below in black.
- Pinball Game: In a pinball arcade, a silver pinball with a white "f" on it rolls about and hits a single object. We then cut to the springs with the letters of the word "family", inscribed on them. On the last part, we see a hole with the word "family" below. Several pinballs emerge from it, as the Circle F logo appears above. Starting in 2001, the logo turns around, revealing the then-current Astral Media logo on it.
- Slide: We see three kids (two girls and one boy) sliding down and landing in a pool of one of the colorful balls (all of which the iconic Family Channel logo was inscribed on them) as they play with the balls and spread around. We then cut to a shot of a round circle (intended to be a pool filled with balls) with a yellow slide resembling the "f" on it, as we pull back from it against a white background. The word "family" appears below in black.
- Ring Around the Rosie: We see the children playing "Ring Around the Rosie", as the camera pulls back, and the 1999-2011 Family logo appears in front of them.
- Disney Variants: There are three variants of the ID that contains the Disney version:
- DJ Effect: We see a countdown-leader style animating, as the red "Circle F" logo spins back and forth like a DJ record, before assuming its normal position. It then changes to light blue, as the 1999-2011 Family Channel logo appears in front of it as usual. A white circle outline draws around the inside of it. Another zooms out and gets placed on the countdown leader circle. It then shrinks and disappears, as a little white circle outline vanishes. A blue circle comes up, as the words "with the magic of DiSNEY" with the white stacked words "with the magic of" in a Helvetica Bold font, and a red corporate Disney logo below.
- Water: Same sequence as before, but the countdown leader sequence plays and brings forth water, as the Family logo appears, then gets swirled away while disappearing. Another brings forth the same Disney sequence as it ripples for a bit, then straightens out at the end.
- Cloudy Sky: Same as variants 1-2, but it also brings forth a shot of the cloudy sky as the Family logo flips into view, then settles in the middle of the screen. The logo then blurs, and the same Disney sequence from before comes up.
Music/Sounds: Depends on the variant of the ID.
Music/Sounds/Voiceover Variant: A 1999 pop/hip-hop jingle with a voiceover saying "You're watching Family, with the magic of Disney!", and a whimsical trill being played at the end. On sign-ons, a rock tune plays over various footage of the bumpers, followed by an announcer stating "Good morning, and welcome to Family's broadcast day!". This is the same on sign-offs, but the tune is changed to a news-like theme, there is different footage, and the announcer now says "This now concludes our broadcast day. Good night from Family!".
Availability: Extinct, outside of tape trading.
5th Logo (2011-September 30, 2017)
Logo: Depends on the variant.
- Shoes: TBA
- Flying Ball: TBA
Technique: Depends on the variant.
Music/Sounds: Depends on the variant.
Availability: Extinct, outside of tape trading. This was made to fit the launch of the HD simulcast.
Legacy: This was made to fit the rebranding, but would be discontinued in favor of the next logo below.
6th Logo (October 1, 2017-)
Logo: On a light teal background with a white spotlight in the middle, we see a modernized version of the current Family Channel logo appearing in the center with colorful circles flying around it and shrinking into small sizes together. After a few seconds of spinning around, they emerge from behind the logo and slowly encircle around it. The logo shines, and the color changes from yellow to blue.
- Sometimes, the logo and background varies in numerous colors.
- Miraculous Variants: On airings of Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir, here are the variants listed below:
- Ladybug: The sequence of the ID plays as the logo zooms out and settles in the middle, with circles coming from behind it. An image of the character Ladybug vertically wipes in on the front of the logo from bottom to top, in a gradual, fancy dissolve effect.
- Cat Noir: On an extremely rare variant, Cat Noir appears in front of the logo as well.
- Ladybug's Yo-Yo: We see a shot of Ladybug's wrist, holding out her yo-yo, as she uses her fingers to slide it open, revealing the Family Channel logo in blue. We then cut to the part where she prepares to swing it down, then she poses in a action-packed fashion and spins it around, making an enormous size of the logo itself. She even does the "Time to de-evilize!" percussion, and brings forth the real Family Channel logo, settling in the center of the screen as the string comes apart.
Technique: 2D animation.
Music/Sounds: A "whoosh" as the circles fly around and come from behind it, and a magical chime as the logo shines.
- On the Miraculous variant, a pop-rock tune accompanied by sounds used in the current ID bumper. This was made as the 2nd version of the bumper itself.
- Sometimes on the 3rd variant, an instrumental version of the Miraculous theme is heard throughout the sequence, accompanied by numerous sound effects, such as the part where Ladybug opens her yo-yo and spins it around.