Arena Entertainment was formed in 1991 as a division of Mirrorsoft Ltd. to publish games from it for Sega Genesis. On January 6, 1992, Acclaim Entertainment purchased Mirrorsoft Ltd. and acquired the company to publish Acclaim games for Sega systems. In 1994, it was folded into Acclaim Entertainment.
1st Logo (1991-1992)
Logo: On a white background, we see a blue flower. Under it is the word "ARENA" with the word "ENTERTAINMENT" spaced below it.
- On Back to the Future III, the logo is a lot darker, due to the incorrect palette format. Plus, "ENTERTAINMENT" is slightly a bit smaller.
- This logo is shown on the left along with The Bitmap Brothers logo on the right on the US Genesis version of Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe.
Music/Sounds: The opening theme of the game or none.
Availability: Seen on Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe, Back to the Future III, and BattleMaster for Sega Genesis.
2nd Logo (1992-1994)
Logo: On a black background, we see the previous logo design, but it's all very light blue, the text is smaller and it's on a blue/dark blue gradient box with a golden border around it.
- On games developed by Probe Software for Sega Genesis and Game Gear, the word "PRESENTS" is under the logo.
- On the Sega Genesis version of NBA Jam, a basketball is bouncing on the logo to the left.
- On the Game Gear version of NBA Jam, the basketball bounces on the logo to the right.
- On the Sega Genesis version of T2: The Arcade Game and the Game Gear version of Mortal Kombat, the "PRESENTS" text is blue.
- On the Sega Genesis version of Super High Impact, the logo is on a white background with the byline "Arena Entertainment a division of Acclaim Distribution, Inc." under the logo.
- On the Game Gear and Sega Master System versions of Alien 3, the word "Presents" is lowercased with the "P" capitalized.
Technique: None. The basketball bouncing for the NBA Jam variants.
Music/Sounds: None or the opening theme of the game.
Availability: Seen on Acclaim games for Sega systems until 1994. Surprisingly, it also appears on the Amiga version of Alien 3.
3rd Logo (December 21, 1993-May 26, 1994)
Logo: On a black background, we see a CD which turns to see a side view of it. Then, it explodes shattering away, then some metal pieces appear and form the Acclaim logo with the rainbow colored arrow line appearing under it. Then, it transforms into the "ARENA" text. Then a blue half flower appears unfolding and spreading above it.
Trivia: The logo first appeared as a print logo on game covers in 1992 (although the games themselves used the previous logo).
Variant: On WWF Rage in the Cage, the logo is smaller. Plus, the CD exploding part is cut and the Acclaim logo is already formed. Also, the rainbow colored line animation is different and the flower appearing animation is different.
Technique: The CD exploding, the Acclaim logo forming, the logo transforming, the flower appearing.
Music/Sounds: A quiet dark whoosh at first, then before the CD explodes, a random piano theme, then a brief explosion, with a dissonant high-pitched synth chord, then a 13-note fanfare which transforms into a rock theme when the Acclaim logo appears.
Availability: Seen on Mortal Kombat and WWF Rage in the Cage for Sega CD.