CTV National IDs
This article may require cleanup to meet AVID's quality standards.
The given reason is: none
Please help improve this article if you can.
The CTV Television Network is a located on Toronto, Ontario, Canada that debuted in 1961.
1st Logo (1961-1966)
Logo: A large stylized C with a curved rectangle in the middle is shown. In that rectangle are the letterd "CTV".
Music/Sounds: A male announcer.
2nd logo (1966-1967)
3rd Logo (1967-1991)
Logo: A white square, circle and triangle are seen "merged" before the circle and triangle slide to the left and right respectively. Once they stop, the circle is filled with red as the red circle moves across the square and triangle, filling them blue and green, respectively.
Variant: There is a still variant which shows the shapes filled with color and the company's initials (C, T and V in the circle, square and triangle respectively)and the text "Television Network" at the bottom.
Technique: Typical 60s animation.
Music/Sounds: A male announcer saying "A CTV program in colour", followed by a four-note trumpet fanfare.
4th logo (1975-1985)
Logo: Multiple white lines are drawn in a reversed L shape as the logo (which consists of the shapes and a black curved-edge square) move downward to the center along with the shapes. As it goes further into the center, the shapes spread out more and the corresponding letters CTV zoom in to their shapes.
- A still version exists.
- An Olympic variant also exists, which consists of different shots of a mountain. As soon as we transition into the 3rd shot, the logo appears, starting from the circle, to the square, to the triangle to the corner shape leaving a trail behind, with all the first three shapes having their corresponding letters. The camera then zooms into the C as a cartoon rotating globe appears.
Music/Sounds: A trumpet fanfare.
5th Logo (1985)
Logo: The logo, which appears in 3D, zooms out from the bottom and turns to face towards the audience. Coming out of the shapes are its corresponding letters, which zoom out after the shape turns upward. A black box with the same gray corner shape zooms in as the camera pans downward to face that part of the shape almost immediately after the letters land on the shapes. Three lines in the company's colors are drawn on said shape during the panning.
Technique: Early CGI.
Music/Sounds: A jazz-esque tune with an announcer saying "This is the CTV television network".
6th Logo (1985-1988)
Logo: Against a brown background, the camera pans over a circle, square and triangle in that order with C, T and V placing themselves down in the respective shapes. As they do so, a low-opacity trailing is seen between the letter and shape in red, blue or green. At the same time, three lines, red, blue and green, slide down in a right diagonal shape as the shapes fill with any of the three colors before turning to face the screen.
Music/Sounds: A six-note tune with a male announcer saying "This is the CTV television network".
6th Logo (1988-1990)
- There is a variant without the byline. Said variant also has the shapes turning instead of just zooming out.
- An extended version exists.
Technique: Once again, CGI animation.
Music/Sounds: A trumpet rock fanfare with an announcer saying "This is the CTV television network" or "This is CTV".
7th Logo (1990-1992)
Logo: Over a black background we see the shapes with lines across them and "Tuned in to you" in white. There are also white lines moving upward or downwards. The camera pans to the left as the text slides to the bottom and the shapes move to their respective positions. Once this is done, a "light" effect occurs as the letters appear on the shapes., eliminating the black lines. The white lines continue to shift at any vertical side.
Variant: There's a logo that has a multiplying effect at the start.
Technique: Computer animation.
Music/Sounds: A chorus singing.
8th Logo (1992-1994)
Logo: A circle, square and triangle are briefly being "drawn" over each other before the spreading out as various other shapes are formed and drawn. At the top, the CTV logo forms itself whilst the shapes at the bottom become three different rectangles: a large red rectangle with two small blue and green ones (the blue one being the smallest). The text "Tuned in", "TO" and "You" move into the red, blue and green rectangles, respectively.
Technique: 2D animation.
Music/Sounds: A chorus singing "CTV! We're tuned in to you!"
9th Logo (1994-1998)
Logo: Not necessarily a single "logo" per se, but rather a collection of idents that all use unique graphics.
- Morphing letters: In the company's colors, various "copies" of the letters are seen moving around and morphing before the shapes zoom out and turn to make the company logo. The curves from the start are seen rotating.
- Rectangles: Multiple parts of the logo are "scattered" across the rectangles as they move around to form the logo.
- Spinning shapes: The logo, in which the letters/shapes are "merged" with rings around it, is seen spinning and rotating.
- Machine: TBA.
- Metal: The camera pans across what appears to be a wall of metal with light bouncing around it. The logo is "stamped" onto the metal one by one, changing the angle of the camera.
Technique: Depends on the ID.
Music/Sounds: Depends on the ID.
10th Logo (September 21, 1998-August 29, 2011)
Logo: Over a video of a setting with plants (possibly wheat or dry grass) and an orange sky, we see the CTV logo (which consists of a red circle with a "C", a blue square with a "T" and a green triangle with a "V") at the center, with ribbons flowing from behind them. The ribbons correspond to the colors of the shapes.
- 1998-2004:CANADIAN TELEVISION faded-in below this ident
- 2001-2004: Sometimes, A Bell Globemedia byline.
- 2004-2011: Bylineless.
- A special variant we see a 2000 text on there then 2000 Celebrate text.
- A widescreen variant exists.
- A longer version with the grain background cubes, then fades into a 1998 CTV Ribbons logo.
- In September 2004, a updated version with a fades into a letters CTV red blue green.
- Sometimes, the Bell Media logo zooms into the ident.
- A still-shot version exists for the sign-offs
- A slightly-longer version the updated was CANADIAN TELEVISION is fading in on it.
Technique: The flowing-ribbons.
Music/Sounds: Same as CTV Productions logo with Lee Marshall saying "CTV, Canadian Television" or a one note-new age synth tune.
- Another announcer would "Canada's Watching CTV", playing over the theme.
- Sometimes the one note fanfare, the similar to 1990 World International Network jingle
- Sometimes, a Lee Marshall saying "CTV, a division of Bell Media" of this ident.
- Sometimes the music is very clean.
- A five-note synth tune with this woodwinds.
- A piano techno tune which as Eric Gordon saying "You're watching CTV, a division of Bell Media".
- For the sign-offs and still version, the logo is silent.
- Reportedly a CFCN-TV and CFRN-TV announcer saying "You're watching CTV, a division of Bell Media".
- A slightly-longer version use the two-note synth tune, Lee Marshall saying "CTV, Canadian Television". Also the variant reportedly the CFCN-TV announcer.
Availability: Extinct. Seen on many tape recordings until 2004.
11th Logo (September 1998-August 30, 2011)
Logo: On a red background we see a celebrity interacting with the CTV logo, which zooms or fades in
- Degrassi: The Next Generation: Charlotte Arnold
- General Hospital: On a red background there are some talented people who say something
- Talk Daily: Ben Mulroney
- Criminal Minds: TBA
- Who Wants to Be a Millionaire: TBA
- General Hospital: TBA
- A variation with a white background has Regis Philbin speaking.
- Committed: The variation use a cartoonish dog who runs and jumps on the man, who sitted on an armchair.
- A variation use a red background with a Christmas horse reindeer.
Technique: A mix of live-action and CGI.
Music/Sounds: Depends about the music
12th Logo (2000-2003)
Logo: This is very similiar to the 10th logo , but depends of the variants.
- Sometimes, there's a bylineless version of this ident.
- Toronto: This variant simply uses different views of the city and the CTV logo at the bottom. Unlike with the other idents, there is no ribbon animation.
- Vancouver: TBA
- Montreal: TBA
- Calgary: TBA
Technique: Depends the variants
Music/Sounds: Same as the main 1998 CTV music.
13th Logo (2011-2018)
Logo: On a blue background, a red ribbon appears from the right side of the screen and fills the sphere red. As it does so, the camera rapidly zooms out as the remainder of the logo forms with the ribbons flying outward.
Variants: Sometimes, the logo zooms out to reveal the Bell Media logo.
- For the signoffs, a still-shot version of this logo is used.
Technique: The ribbons
Music/Sounds: Same as 2004 extended version of the music.
14th Logo (2018-)
Logo: The shapes zoom in from the left or right side of the screen as the letters draw themselves in.
Technique: Simple 2D animation.
Music/Sounds: A quiet boom sound.